Thursday, March 02, 2006

They Spy

Germans are very much in a huff about the New York Times story saying that their spies passed on information to the Americans on the eve of the Iraq War.

Final proof, I think, that while their Chancellor was boldly giving the finger to Uncle Sam with one hand, he was fervently sending the a-ok sign and "I've got my fingers crossed" with the other. The real question is: why is anyone surprised? Great watersheds in foreign policy don't happen through hissy-fits, at least not in democracies. No matter how much George W. and Gerhard were seething at each other ("I am, like, so pissed at Gerhard!"), 1001 and one institutional relationships were still solidly in place.

"Crisis" my butt.

Told ya' so, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home